We know that the market is saturated with natural beauty products and that terms such as clean and green beauty are often used as a guarantee of product quality, safety and sustainability. So how to choose? The reality is that there is no recognized definition of what these claims mean, nor does any law regulate what makes a cosmetic clean. Declaring that a product is clean is a fairly vague marketing statement, which any brand or consumer can interpret as they wish. This is why our goal is to share through research, data and concrete statements what it means for Permano to be a sustainable beauty brand. No vague adjectives, rather the promise of constantly improving and growing as a company to offer useful products, 100% made in Italy with glocal ingredients, and always choosing aluminum instead of plastic.
A product is made up of many elements: why do we insist so much on aluminum to demonstrate that we are sustainable? Because the entire environmental impact of almost all cosmetic products is in the disposal of post-consumer packaging. Only 5% of the total environmental impact is attributable to raw materials, production, distribution and packaging. The plastic in the used-up packaging that is recycled, incinerated or sent to landfills to decompose slowly over 450 years represents the remaining 95% of the impact of each individual product. Aluminum is the only infinitely recyclable material, and it is a permanent material, meaning it does not lose prestige or quality transformation after transformation. Just think that over 75% of all aluminum ever produced is still in use today. Furthermore, its production process allows to reuse the processing waste in a circular way, making it an inherently zero-waste choice.
Sustainability is an everyday project: this is why out team is constantly working behind the scenes to create new ways of packaging our products in a more sustainable, smart and beautiful way. Currently the only plastic you’ll find in our products is in small components that we can’t replace because they guarantee proper use of our packaging such as our handcream lids and the tiny tube inside out liquid soaps bottles. They are 100% recyclable plastic and easy to separate – however we will make sure to replace them with some other material as soon as we find an adequate match. In the meantime, if you’re living plastic-free you can try our solid soaps: the only packaging they have is FSC paper, which is sustainably sourced, recyclable and naturally biodegradable in 12 months max.
One of our main goals is to create truly useful products. We promote conscious shopping, that is why you should choose between solid and liquid soap according to what you’ll actually use on a daily basis. If you travel a lot, and maybe you usually pack minimal, choose your solid formulas: cabin-safe, compact and with zero chance of breaking and spilling. If you spend a lot of time at home, want to invest in a long-lasting product with a seriously gorgeous reusable design bottle, the liquid soaps are your best bet.
Like all cosmetics produced in the European Union, every Permano product is not tested on animals, according to the Regulation 1223/2009, fully in force since July 2013, which declared animal testing both on finished products and on the ingredients of these illegal in Europe. Our products are formulated and made 100% in Italy using natural raw materials of vegetal origin and without parabens, sulphates, formaldehydes and other harmful compounds prohibited by EU regulations on cosmetics.
There’s something you need to know about the Permano team: we wouldn’t make a product unless it was the very best we could give you. We are annoyingly perfectionist, and we make everything custom, and in house. From the industry-standard defying aluminum packaging to the geeky skincare formulas, nothing is bought pre-made by someone else. This makes our production process expensive for us, and the price tag a little bit higher for you. We know cheaper alternatives exist, yet we firmly believe in our quality and we are very proud of every product we put in your hands (literally). However, our product formats are 30% bigger than industry standards: this along with our concentrated formulas make Permano goods very long-lasting and lowers cost per use, and the environmental impact of your handcare routine.
If you’ve ever used Permano products you already know that the aluminum packaging is very sturdy and high-quality. So much so that it would be a shame to throw it away as soon as the product finishes. Why not using your empty Permano bottles as pen holders, flower pots, or plant vases? Permano bottles are also ready to be refilled, and we might have something pretty special in store on this topic... *hint hint*. And once you’re done with your aluminum packaging, here are a couple of resources on how to correctly recycle for you to check.